To Detox or Not to Detox?Detoxing is the source of so many questions I get via email and on my website forums. Some people like to detox, some don’t, and some tend to overdo. A few words about the “art” of detoxing…
A detox cure can be as short as half a day and not more than 2 days. It is not to be overdone. A detox is not intended to be a compensation for a day or several days of overeating. Rather, it is a way to periodically rid your body of toxins and re-set your dials. Losing a pound or two is an added benefit. French women use a detox such as the Magical Leek Soup twice a year or at the beginning of each season. Think of it as something to be incorporated not more than once a quarter.
While you are detoxing, it is very important that you don’t overexert yourself. No exercise, or heavy mental work either. This is a time for reading, relaxing and relishing.
Here are a few variations used in France, including some detoxing ingredients for those who don’t want to do a full detox:
- The now-famous Magical Leek Soup for 24 hours or 36 hours is tops.
- The Grape Detox is excellent for the early fall.
- In France, the dandelion is another magical vegetable…although not sweet like the leek, it can be counterbalanced with a few slices of apple and a dressing of walnut oil and fruit vinegar like raspberry or fig). Having one day of a normal breakfast and a salad for lunch and dinner, followed with a fruit salad of pineapple, mango or papaya will do wonders to drain your liver.
- Spring is also artichoke season: rich in potassium, use them a few times a week, just steamed with lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil. Ditto for asparagus: white or green, it is a diuretic but also facilitates the regeneration of organs so eat plenty. Steam and use a bit of lemon juice and different oils (olive, walnut, sesame, etc.).
- Easy 24 hour detox: a mix of herb teas and for meals eat fruit for breakfast, veggies (steamed) and fruit for lunch and dinner.
- And maybe I can’t call this a detox, but to reduce stress, a little square of dark chocolate after lunch or dinner any time of year works wonders.